Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Dash AC (Air Conditioner)

 Our A/C has been giving us an issue since early 2020.

During routine maintenance at Bob’s, in Yuma, Az. I requested a leak check.

A leak check with the right equipment, takes only 15 – 30 minutes, with only 15 minutes of labor.

In preforming a leak check, the Freon is removed by a vacuum pump. Nitrogen is then pumped back inside at a 250 psi level and sealed. This is the longest part, waiting.

 When completed, nitrogen is removed and Freon is pumped back in. Now, comes the real test. With engine running and digital computer connected, I along with the Tech, ascertain that the expansion valve was the source of the problem. Since time was not on our side I asked for an estimate and requested they email it to me.


 Fast forward 2 weeks, while on Da Road, the estimate came it at $1000. They included changing out the ac compressor. Strange as I did see as part of the problem. Oh Well, they must know something I do not know.

 Now fast forward to 2021, while at our Yuma lot, I decided to act on my decision, by replacing the expansion valve and dryer.

 To do this you must be able to stand up inside the front generator/battery compartment. If you cannot, then do not attempt this.

I completed the process of Vacuum, recharge and nothing or something but not quite what I thought it would be. Cooling yes, but not as it should have been. Gauge reading the same. Showing the expansion valve.

 Oh, you want to know what I found when I removed the original expansion valve?

 


This: At first I thought it had something to do with the valve itself.

 

Fast forward 3 weeks and back at it. I again remove the new valve, and again I saw the same. 

It was at this time a light bulb came on. The desiccant bag inside the dryer had rupture. The desiccant beads themselves were clogging the hose, along with the valve. So, with Rudy’s help, I remove the line, flush out the hose and cleaned the new valve.

 Register temperature is now 38°. Gauge Reading

Total cost

Parts $90

Freon 6 1/2 Cans $45.

Difficulty level 1 – 5? A 4, as it requires you to be able to stand up inside the front compartment. 

DaGirls Rv

Susan, Tilly, Dakota and me

Safe Travels


No comments:

Post a Comment

Carlsbad, NM

 I will catch everyone up on the who, what and where. Currently we are at the Elks Lodge #1558, in Carlsbad, NM. We left Lake Colorado City ...