Saturday, April 27, 2024

Big Thank you

 Ok, many of you are still reading, looking or laughing at the antics of DaGirls. Well guess we'll continue doing something. I mean something is better then Social Media apps, Right ?

So, on Saturday April 20th, we lander in Alexandria, La. Specifically, Boyce. We found this small 10 unit campground many years ago, in the way CG go, this is one lovely and quiet place. The sites are large, well spread out and full hooks-up. It is also less then 10 miles to where my Aunt Joy, lives.



Let me make one thing clear, no-one comes to Alex except for these reasons:
Work, Passing thru to New Orleans, or you really do have relatives that live here. Seriously, those are the only reasons, I have ever ascertained (Ooh big word: more the 7 letters, sometimes I surprise myself).  

One of the reasons, sometimes I do not post photos, is because even though there are some lovely areas. Big homes, golf courses, and other places. It is still a low income for many of the people. Where the minimum wage is still $10. Home ownership is mainly out of the reach for the greater population. Where people buy houses for fixup and then rent them out. 
And sometimes  just plain forget to, or even carry a camera.

I know, these homes, I can remember by relatives living in house like these. Where the average square footages are less the 1000 sqft. and are older then 80 years. So, what is drawing me back here to Alex?

Maybe it is my remaining Aunt. Aunt Joy, who is 95. Here brother, my dad would have been close to 100 now. Or, my 2 remaining cousins Ed, and Mark along with Ronda, Mark's wife. Who's knows what's the draw is, that keeps bringing me back.

Or how about 3 generations of Prichard's that are buried here. 2 generations in Pineville and 1 in Ball. Which is just down the street. 

Dad and Mom

Great Grandmother


Great Grandma Prichard Right Side


Great Grandfather


Great Grandfather Prichard


Grandfather


Grandmother


Grandfather and Grandmother (Left and Middle)


Or is it the other relatives that are buried here in the Alex area. Come to think of it, most of my relatives', both on my Grandfather (Rev Garland Prichard) and Grandmother (Leona (Yarbro) side, are buried from Louisiana, Arkansas and up to Ohio Valley. Also the family name Prichard. I have 1 relative with it spelled Pritchard, and another spelled Pritchett. This is going back another 3 or 4 generations.

So, when thinking about it, what really draws me back to places like this. Definitely not looking to retire, although here the Atwood clan always have a open door, to anyone relative of not. 

Definitely not the area well, humidity really. Green, you couldn't get more greener grass, trees, animals and lots of Private Land. Private land, well lets say, in the olden days the Wood / Paper companies owned pretty much all the forest. 

Anyway, think about yourself. Do you ever feel drawn back to someplace? Similar to what I just wrote about? 

Oh, did I mention, that the Day we arrived I aged by 1 year to 73. Yep, April 20, 1951 at 0830 in Alex I was born. 73, it was that night, I found out I was the oldest one of the bunch. That's Ed in the background.


My Aunt Joy


There is one thing that keeps Joy going. Sewing, yes sewing. Now, she makes small quilts, about 4 x 4. She uses material that she has or Rhonda or Ed brings to her. She heard there were needs for quilts for Children in Distress. She makes about 20 a month, which are then taken down to a facility. All of her quilts are given away. Friends, family, children in need. 

Mark, by the way, sorry we forgot to take the garbage out. Also I forgot to take a group photo of all of us.  Really messed that one up. 

By the way, my aunt's born name is really LeeJoy, one word. However in all the years, census reports, papers, social security, it was always written down as Joy L. It's funny, how when you go back thru history, someone or many someone's always can get it wrong. Oh, you say what about her birth certificate? Back that far, the certificates were a piece a paper. Given to the parents, or the church would keep a written record. 

Both my father and Aunt had a alternate birth certificate. This required a parent going down and filling out a piece of paper, Then with this item, they could get a. Wait for it..... Social Security number. I know everyone thinks a paper trail was kept. Well guess what, if it wasn't for the church, some official office there would be no paper trail.   

Anyway this wraps it up for now.

Anyway, Dakota was given a bath today, as her fur was getting a little dry. The only problem. There was only 1 set of hands to do all the rubbing with towels. You can Never have too many rubbing hands. 





Safe Travels and Journeys
DaGirls Rv
Susan, Tilly, Dakota and me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting the Wrap-up

Going backward; We arrived in Show Low, Az, around 1:30 pm MST. We left Mountainair, NM 7:11 CDST. It was also time to say goodbye to our ex...