Friday, September 27, 2019

Walk-About- Hiking

7 Days 11 Hours and Counting down.

Ok, first let's get the Alfa MH work out of the way.


Topic, Generators and Starters
Some people have experience Starter replacements. This post is not about replacing the starter, but potentially why.

Items that can cause hard starting:
Fuel Pump, Glow Plugs, Solenoid, Cables.

Let’s discuss Cables, and a potential failure points.
Most Alfa’s generators B+ are wired this way.
Battery (B+), to the 200 amp Fuse.
To Battery Control Center (BCC).
Then to the Generator input terminal.
Anywhere along this line, a loose connection can cause a low voltage, thereby increasing the current and adding heat to the starter, thereby potentially causing a starter failure.

To minimize a failure, I decided to redo, my cables from the Generator to the batteries.

In doing this I found the Neg (B-) lead on the generator with a bad and improper crimp. In addition, due to this crimp, 6 inches of the Neg lead needed to be cut off.

Using 00 awg cable on hand, I made a new cable leading from the Positive input terminal from the generator, directly to the B+ post of the Coach Battery. Thereby by passing any voltage drop caused by the existing cable routing.

In doing this, I no longer notice a 1 second slow start when pressing the Start switch.

Before someone mentions it, I have never used my BCC disconnect switch.

Ok, by to the real world. What did we do today? Me, I decided to take a hike. Hike where you asked? Well if you look closely at the image below, you may notice a Earthen Dam. I decided to walk it and then instead of retracing my steps, I went cross-country (desert), until I finally hit the highway.



Total Distance = 6.5 miles 
Time = Little over 2 Hrs


Photos along the way:














Safe Travels and Journeys
Susan, Tilly, Dakota and me.


1 comment:

  1. Great to y'all are on the fun path, enjoy the 🎈🎈🎈🎈 fest.

    ReplyDelete

Big Thank you

 Ok, many of you are still reading, looking or laughing at the antics of DaGirls. Well guess we'll continue doing something. I mean some...