Coolant, air dryer, lubrication, fuel filter and radiator fan replacement. Why the fan you ask? Because we had a few nicks on the blades and I did not want the out of balance to cause a fan hub bearing failure. So, with that list in place off DaGirls went to the shop.
But alas it was not to be an easy day. First was the fuel bowl, mine was different, it would not fit the Freightliner filter, so a new bowl. Next, a small leak in the air line to the rear brake. Ok, I said changed them both.
Then came the biggie:
What started out as a standard operation, turned into a 2 day operation, with the second day, waiting for a slot to get back into the shop.
One of the fan bolts broke. Instead of just replacing the fan, all the mounting bolts item #8 (qty 4) had to come out as a whole assembly. Getting them out took longer then normal, but out they came. Once on the bench, they were unable to remove the pulley bolts #7. I suggested heating, which they did not want to do, but in the end it worked out.
At this point in was far easier to replace the fan bearing instead of re-installing the same bearing. But guess what, they do not have bearing pullers. I located a shop in Greenville (Spring Alignment) which could do the job.
On Thursday, I headed out early to get the bearing replaced, along with a stop at CAT to get new bolts #7. But guess what, my bolts were different then the CAT bolts. I finally realized that a truck engine uses a different fan mounting assembly, then a diesel pusher.
Fan retention bolts are:
Installed in my coach is Hex Bolt all thread, Qty 6, 8 x 1.25 mm x 110 cm
CAT Part is a shoulder Hex Bolt 8x1.25mm x 120 cm. But the good news this one can be used as is. By the way, always changed out 2, instead of the 1. Think balance.
Anyway, all done heading back to FL, and await my turned. When I returned I asked to talk to Cory, butt was denied. So we waited until DaGirls got inside, guess what again. It seems the Spring shop installed item #6 upside down. Back to the drawing board.
Pat called around and we located a heavy duty motor rebuild shop that had a press, so off I went in search. Presto, I was back, with it done and ready for installation. 2 hours later it was done and off DaGirls went for a test drive. But alas when Cory came back, he said we had a leak where he removed the hose to drain the coolant. Turned out, there was surface rust, which he forgot to clean upon removing the hose to drain the fluid.
Cory, said he would stay to get it corrected and we would not have to come back in the next day. Thanks Cory. 1 ½ hrs it was done, but HE FORGOT TO TELL US. So we waited an additional 20 minutes to find this out, DaGirls was back outside and he had already left.
But on Friday early morning we were up and on the road by 7 am. Heading to the volunteer state of Tennessee.
"That's my story and I'm sicking to it"
“SeeYa, Safe and Happy Journeys”
"DaGirls Rv, Me, Della, Susan & Tilly"